Vice President-Financial Services and Benefits
If you're a business owner or administrator of an employee benefits program, no one needs to tell you how complicated rules and regulations have become, and how difficult it is to remain in compliance. That's why we feel it's important to attend our annual Sylvia Group benefits compliance seminar:
- To update you on important legislative changes implemented or proposed during the past year.
- To help you avoid the pitfalls that frequently trip up other benefits professionals.
- To answer pressing questions you have about the future of health care.
You're invited to join us on Thursday, September 14, when we welcome back our featured presenter, Attorney Richard Szczebak, a noted health-care reform and compliance expert with the law firm of Parker Brown Macaulay & Sheerin, P.C. for this year's compliance seminar, "Health Care's Uncertain Future: What It Means to Employers."
While compliance is an issue benefits administrators face year-round, it's a particularly timely topic now, given the shifting landscape at the state and federal levels.
Among the topics Attorney Szczebak will discuss:
- What's next for employers after the collapse of efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
- Two new levels of employer assessment, including the Employer Medical Assistance Contribution (EMAC), will help MassHealth stay afloat. Which applies to you, and how will it affect your business?
- A commonly overlooked compliance issue: imputed income when a divorced spouse or domestic partner is carried on your group health plan.
- What is the status of the Massachusetts paid family and medical leave bill?
Our program begins with check-in and continental breakfast at 8:30 a.m., followed by Attorney Szczebak's presentation from 8:45-10:30. While the seminar is free, registration is required.
I look forward to seeing you on Sept. 14.
About Rosemarie Lopes and Sylvia Group
A Sylvia Group Vice President, co-owner and manager of the agency's Employee Benefits and Financial Planning divisions, Rosemarie Lopes has more than 14 years of industry experience working with businesses and individuals to design programs that fit their strategic plans and goals. Her designs for health, dental, disability, life, long-term care and travel insurance coverage help clients protect their investments and provide security for the people they care about most.
Before joining the insurance industry, Rose served six years in the U.S. Marine Corps, earning multiple commendations and medals. In addition to being a member of the SouthCoast Insurance Agents Association Board of Directors, she continues to serve her community as President of Veterans Transition House Board of Directors and as a member of the United Way of Greater New Bedford's Citizens Review Team.
Sylvia Group helps businesses and individuals protect their future by designing insurance, benefits and financial planning programs. We’re a locally owned agency known for our commitment to our clients and our community, as well for our industry expertise. Founded in New Bedford, MA, in 1950, headquartered in neighboring Dartmouth, and serving businesses and individuals throughout Massachusetts, Rhode Island and beyond, Sylvia Group is certified as a Woman Owned Business Enterprise with the Massachusetts Supplier Diversity Office and has the distinction of being the first six-time recipient of the Five Star designation awarded by the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents (MAIA) for all-around agency excellence.